Harry is a partner with Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office. His litigation practice focuses primarily on commercial, insurance, construction, and marine related matters. Harry has acted for various chartered banks and private lenders in recovery actions, insolvencies, fraud/theft related cases and general defence. He frequently acts in commercial disputes involving breach of contract, bad faith, fiduciary duties, shareholder disputes, employee fidelity, procurement and project tendering, construction, real estate development and maritime law.
Harry also works in the area of health law and medical defence, including acting as counsel to the Canadian Medical Protective Association and its member physicians.
He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of King’s College in 1995 and his Bachelor of Laws from the University of New Brunswick in 2001.
Harry is a member of the Risk Management Association, Atlantic Chapter, and the Marine Insurance Committee of the Canadian Maritime Law Association. He is also a member of the Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters and the Nova Scotia Medical Legal Society. Harry is a past chair of the Civil Litigation and ADR Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia Branch), has served on the National Executive Board of the University of King’s College Alumni Association. Harry is a supporter of youth athletics. He formerly sat on the Board of Directors of the Halifax Dunbrack Soccer Club and currently coaches minor basketball.
Harry is a frequent lecturer on various topics related to the insurance and construction industries.
- Nova Scotia (2002)
- University of New Brunswick
- University of King’s College (BA, 1995)
- University of New Brunswick (LLB, 2001)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member, Nova Scotia Medical Legal Society – Board of Directors
- Risk Management Association
- Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters (Claims and Loss Prevention Committee)
- Canadian Maritime Law Association (Marine Insurance Committee)
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, DRI (Commercial Litigation, Construction, Insurance and Product Liability Substantive Committees)
Activities Within Firm
- Halifax Executive Committee Member (2011-2014)
- Professional Personnel Partner (2012 – 2014)
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Member of the Board of Directors, Halifax Dunbrack Soccer Club
Lectures & Presentations
- Common Marine Exclusions: Critical Concepts and Interpretation – Annual Conference of the Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters (2015)
- Intensive Construction Claim Avoidance and Management Training – Various construction clients (builder and owner perspective)
- Procurement Update – Construction Specifications Canada
- Primed on Products: the Fundamentals of Product Liability Claims – Canadian Defence Lawyers annual Defensible Positions Conference (May 2012)
- Bidding and Tendering – Construction Association of Nova Scotia (1/2 day course 2013)
- Bidding and Tendering – Construction Association of Nova Scotia (January 2012)
- So You Want to Get Paid? Collection of Unpaid Accounts – SME clients
- Builders’ Lien – Construction Clients (2010)
- Are There Real Consequences For Crossing Virtual Lines?- Cox & Palmer Insurance Seminar
- IMEs: Focus on Legal Issues – Canadian Society of Medical Evaluators
- Section D: Uninsured and Unidentified Automobile Coverage – Insurance Client
- Summary Judgment Law and Practice Insurance Cases – Insurance Client
- Understanding Insurance Case Law – Insurance Institute of Nova Scotia and the Insurance Brokers Association of Nova Scotia
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Canadian Bar Association