Framework The federal and provincial governments have established a complex regulatory scheme to govern the fishing industry in Atlantic Canada and elsewhere. The principal statute governing the industry is the Fisheries Act. Under the Act, the federal government has created more than two dozen sets of regulations. The Minister of the Department of Fisheries and […]read more
Fisheries & Aquaculture
Our fisheries team apply their industry and marine law knowledge, as well as hands-on experience, to help our clients make strategic decisions today that will support their business success in the future.
Today the fishing industry is faced with decisions around business structure, tax implications, mergers and license acquisitions. Global markets are creating exciting opportunities for the fisheries and aquaculture industry.
Our clients rely on us for:
- Clarification of DFO regulations and compliance advice
- Acquisition and/or sale agreements involving boats and other marine assets
- Licensing issues and disputes
- Business structure advice and CRA tax implications
- Marine insurance, environmental, and commercial claims
- Exporting advice
- Dispute resolution arising from valuation of fishing licenses, agreements, and assets