As governments across Canada continue to impose restrictions on business and travel in an attempt to curtail the spread of COVID-19, parties to contracts, especially service or sale of goods contracts, may find it increasingly more challenging to complete their contractual obligations. In this context, it may be useful to review the legal concepts of force majeure and the common law doctrine of frustration to consider how each may apply in certain contractual relationships.read more
Energy & Natural Resources
Cox & Palmer’s energy and natural resources lawyers are recognized legal advisors in the industry, respected for sector experience, accessible service, and advice that leads to desired outcomes. Our lawyers work with our clients and other groups within the firm to provide reliable, tailored assistance at every stage of our clients’ projects.
Depend on your Cox & Palmer lawyer to provide comprehensive commercial and regulatory advice to major electric and oil and gas projects, exploration and production companies, service companies, pipe laying companies, regulatory agents and governments.
Cox & Palmer’s engagements in the energy sector include:
- Counsel and chief negotiator on the Canada Nova Scotia offshore agreements.
- Counsel and chief negotiator for a proponent on the proposed 2002 $12 billion Lower Churchill Hydro-Electric project.
- Lead counsel on the commercial arrangements for the Nova Scotia investor in the Muskrat Falls land and Maritime link Hydro Electric project.
- Counsel for a variety of parties on oil and gas projects offshore Newfoundland and Labrador, including Hibernia, Terra Nova and White Rose.
- Lead counsel on the $850 million privatization of Nova Scotia Power Corporation.
- Counsel to a major Nova Scotia electrical utility for all aspects of the regulated industry.
- Counsel to suppliers of labour, goods and services to many energy projects.
Key service areas include:
- Asset and share acquisitions and divestitures involving public and private resource sector companies
- Debt and equity financing
- Corporate restructuring
- Mergers, joint ventures and takeover bids
- Development agreements, operating agreements, benefit plans
- Royalty and governmental negotiations
- Regulatory and lands rights issues
- Mineral and hydrocarbon rights
- Easements, land access rights, compensation for use and expropriation
- Regulated rate structures and service conditions
- Hearings and selection processes relating to resource development projects
- Structuring co-generation projects
- Environmental assessments, approvals, regulation and compliance
- Farm in/farm out agreements
- Procurement and construction issues
- Project labour agreements and related issues
- Privacy and access to information