Matt is an experienced business lawyer, regularly acting for clients in all aspects of environmental and natural resources law, commercial real estate and commercial financing.
Environment and Natural Resources
Matt has significant experience advising proponents, purchasers, vendors and lenders with respect to provincial and federal environmental, permitting and licensing considerations for large infrastructure projects (including operating and development-stage mines, public utility projects, wind farms and fisheries).
Matt is well-versed in applicable regulatory and statutory regimes, including matters relating to contaminated site liability and the Nova Scotia industrial and environmental approval regime.
In the mining sector, he has acted for a wide variety of major producers, royalty companies and junior exploration companies with respect to all matters of title due diligence, land assembly, conveyancing, and mining agreements, including royalty, joint venture and option agreements.
Commercial Real Estate
In his commercial real estate practice, Matt advises a range of individuals, institutional clients, REITs and developers with respect to varied acquisitions and dispositions, property development, zoning and planning matters. Matt also has specific expertise relating to the negotiation and preparation of commercial leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants.
Matt also routinely acts for a number of commercial lenders and borrowers with respect to commercial financing matters, including the negotiation of loan agreements, conducting appropriate due diligence, and the preparation and registration of relevant security. Matt has specific expertise in matters relating to financing and securing energy, mining and other natural resource projects in Nova Scotia.
- Nova Scotia (2009)
- Ontario (2010)
- Dalhousie University
- Osgoode Hall Law School (Certificate in Mining Law, 2013)
- Dalhousie University (LLB, 2008)
- McGill University (BA, 2005)
Lectures & Presentations
- An Overview of How to Deal with Patented and Unpatented Mining Lands- Law Society of Upper Canada (2015)
- From the Centre of the Earth to the Big Blue Sky: Land Ownership, Mining and Air Rights – Real Estate Lawyers Association Nova Scotia (2018)
- An Overview of Contaminated Site Liability: Due Diligence, Reporting and Site Closure – Canadian Bar Association – Nova Scotia Environment, Energy & Resources Section (2021)
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia’s new Biodiversity Act
- Transfers and Non-Canadian Ownership of Atlantic Canadian Fishing Licences
- Nova Scotia Eviction Moratorium and Rent Deferral
- Nova Scotia: Duty to Consult in Large Infrastructure Projects and COVID-19 Impacts - A review of Nova Scotia Supreme Court’s recent judgment in Sipekne’katik v. Alton Natural Gas Storage LP, 2020 NSSC 111