Richard has a wide-ranging Commercial Litigation practice engaging on General Commercial and Construction related issues, including procurement, payment, performance and breach and Professional Defence whether through negotiation, mediation/arbitration or litigation, including as a class action.
His litigation perspective brings a unique insight to complex commercial drafting and resolution-focused project management to avoid litigation, particularly regarding professional services agreements and procurement issues in public and private sector tendering and RFP or NRFP contexts. Richard holds the Osgoode Certificate in Public Procurement Law and Practice and is regularly invited to speak to professional and industry groups.
Richard has appeared as lead counsel and as a litigation team member before various commercial arbitration panels and the Supreme Court (General and Appellate Divisions) of Newfoundland and Labrador, but also enjoys success in dispute resolution without recourse to litigation.
Richard serves on the Board of Directors of the Newfoundland and Labrador Construction Association (NLCA). He has been provincial Chair of the CBA Construction & Infrastructure Law Section (NL) since 2013. Within Cox & Palmer, he chairs the local Construction Law Practice Group. In the community, he is a Board Chair of Shallaway – Newfoundland and Labrador Youth in Chorus Inc.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1994)
- University of Saskatchewan
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A. 1990)
- University of Saskatchewan (LL.B. 1993)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Board Member, Newfoundland and Labrador Construction Association (NLCA), (2019 –
- Chair, CBA Construction Law Section (NL), (2013 – 2015)
Activities Within Firm
- Co-chair of the Construction Law Group
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Director, Board Secretary: Shallaway – Newfoundland and Labrador Youth in Chorus Inc
Lectures & Presentations
- Presenter to Newfoundland & Labrador Construction Association (NLCA) on construction law issues
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association
- Tendering and COVID-19: bidders beware (or at least be aware)
- Beyond Prompt Payment: Processes and Options for Timely Compensation
- Who Owns That School? The Crown and the Validity of Lien Claims
- Notice of Delay: Simon says, “I am making a claim.”
- When Standard Form Contracts are Non-Standard
- Change in Scope? Prove It!
- Tendering: What are the Rules?
- Litigation-avoiding Behaviour
- Lien & Mean? Mechanics’ Liens in NL