Richard has a wide-ranging Commercial Litigation practice that includes commercial and construction cases, procurement and professional defence, as well as litigation support on regionally and nationally-scoped class actions. He holds Government of Canada Level II (Secret) reliability status (effective to 2019).
His litigation perspective also brings a unique insight to complex commercial drafting and project management to avoid litigation, particularly regarding professional services agreements and procurement issues in public and private sector tendering and RFP contexts. Richard holds the Osgoode Certificate in Public Procurement Law and Practice and is regularly invited to speak on procurement issues.
Richard has appeared as lead counsel and as a litigation team member before various commercial arbitration panels and the Supreme Court (General and Appellate Divisions) of Newfoundland and Labrador, but also enjoys success in dispute resolution without recourse to litigation.
Richard is provincial Chair of the CBA Construction Law Section (NL). Within Cox & Palmer, he chairs the local Construction Law Practice Group. In the community, he is a Board Chair of Shallaway – Newfoundland and Labrador Youth in Chorus Inc.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1994)
- University of Saskatchewan
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A. 1990)
- University of Saskatchewan (LL.B. 1993)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Chair, CBA Construction Law Section (NL), (2013-15)
Activities Within Firm
- Co-chair of the Construction Law Group
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Director, Board Secretary: Shallaway – Newfoundland and Labrador Youth in Chorus Inc
Lectures & Presentations
- Presenter to Newfoundland & Labrador Construction Association (NLCA) on construction law issues
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador