- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Corporate & Commercial
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Employment & Labour
- Estate Litigation
- Estates & Trusts
- Banking & Finance
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Residential Real Estate
- Commercial Real Estate & Development
Edward is the Managing Partner in the Saint John office of Cox & Palmer. He was called to the New Brunswick bar in 1991 after completing his education at the University of New Brunswick.
Ed has a general litigation practice acting as litigation counsel in a broad range of cases including civil, commercial, banking & insolvency, personal injury, employment and construction matters.
Ed has a broad corporate & commercial practice representing a number of New Brunswick businesses and individuals including acting on incorporations; negotiating commercial contracts, drafting commercial documents for own clients and acting on numerous corporate and commercial files within the firm. He acts on behalf of franchisees, both in litigation matters and in negotiating and drafting all aspects of franchise agreements including drafting commercial leases, shareholders agreement and supply contracts. Ed also acts for corporate clients on purchase, sale and construction of various commercial properties, acting on the financing of same, negotiation and drafting of contracts with architects, general contractors and various sub-contractors. He acts on various corporate and commercial matters including tax-motivated corporate reorganizations, transfer of ownership of family-held corporations, preparation of asset and share transfer documentation, and preparation of opinion work on various corporate and commercial and corporate matters.
Ed has acted as litigation counsel in various cases on behalf of the Federal Government, and appeared before numerous regulatory boards including the New Brunswick Energy and Utilities Board and the Provincial Planning Appeal Board.
Ed chairs disciplinary hearing panels for Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and The Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA).
- New Brunswick (1991)
- University of New Brunswick
- St. Francis Xavier University (B.Sc. 1984)
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B. 1990)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Chair, Discipline Hearing Panel – New Brunswick Council, Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and The Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA) (2004 to Present)
- Member – Defence Research Institute
- Past President – Canadian Bar Association, New Brunswick Branch
- Past President – Young Lawyers Sub-section, Canadian Bar Association, New Brunswick Branch
Activities Within Firm
- Managing Partner – Saint John Office
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Member – Board of Directors, Salvation Army
- Member – City of Saint John Planning Advisory Committee
- Member – St. Joseph’s Hospital Advisory Council
- Past President – Canadian Association of Police Boards
- Past Chair – Saint John Board of Police Commissioners
- Past Chair – St. Joseph’s Hospital Foundation
- Past Vice-Chair – Board of Commissioners, Saint John Energy
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of New Brunswick
- Saint John Law Society