Karen is a partner in the Cox & Palmer Charlottetown office. Her practice encompasses Municipal Law, Labour & Employment Law, Public Law, Health Law and Civil Litigation. Karen has 27 years of experience in Municipal Law and represents municipalities in a wide variety of areas. She represents employers in collective bargaining negotiations, rights and interest arbitration, human rights, and occupational health and safety matters.
Karen also appears before the Prince Edward Island Labour Board and the Supreme Court in matters such as transfer of business and successor rights, unfair labour practice complaints, bargaining unit composition matters, certification applications, and jurisdictional complaints.
Karen has represented employers and employees in wrongful dismissal cases, and with employment contract preparations under both provincial Labour Acts and the Federal Labour Code.
Karen is experienced in human rights matters and maintains a pro-active approach to advising employers on issues of discrimination and workplace accommodations.
- Currently acts as General Counsel to large municipal corporations and a variety of public and private sector employers.
- Nova Scotia (1987)
- Prince Edward Island (1988)
- Dalhousie University
- University of Prince Edward Island (B.Ed. 1982)
- Dalhousie University (LL.B. 1986)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Founding Board Member – Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE) and member (2002 – present)
- Member at Large – Canadian Bar Association National Labour & Employment Law Section (current)
Activities Within Firm
- Cox & Palmer Practice Group Committee
- Library Committee Chair – PEI
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Executive Vice President – Charlottetown Minor Hockey Association (past)
- Member of the PEI Hockey Mommas who plays hockey badly, but raise money and awareness for Breast Cancer
- Board Member/Honorary Solicitor – PEI Division of the Canadian Cancer Society (past)
- Organizing committee member – Bob Bateman Memorial Mayor’s Cup Golf Tournament
Lectures & Presentations
- Frequent speaker at Labour & Employment Seminars in Atlantic Canada
- Presenter CACE 2006 and 2016 National Conference
- Presenter at various Municipal Law Seminars
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Prince Edward Island
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society