William is a partner in the St. John’s office of Cox & Palmer. William has an active practice in the areas of mining, corporate finance, commercial real estate, and fisheries & marine. William’s experience includes:
Mining Law – advising private and public mining companies in a wide range of areas including asset acquisition, mergers and acquisitions and financing. William has clients trading on exchanges in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom.
Corporate Finance – advising financial institutions and corporate borrowers on financings and secured transactions and represents financial institutions on security enforcement, debt collections, and judgment enforcement.
Commercial Real Estate – advising owners on the purchase, sale and development of commercial properties and due diligence in relation to same, the creation and financing of commercial condominiums, the negotiation and drafting of commercial leases, and acting for commercial landlords in lease enforcement including distraint.
Marine Law – advising owners and financial institutions on all aspects of marine law, including the purchase and sale of vessels both domestically and internationally, and the financing of vessels and fishing enterprises.
William believes strongly in community service. William has served as a director and honourary legal counsel for Provincial Council of St. John Ambulance since 2010. In 2015 he was invested as a serving member of Order of St. John. Having served as a Canadian Forces reservist for over 11 years, William currently serves as chairperson of the Provincial Committee of the Air Cadet League of Canada.
Professionally, William is actively involved in the Canadian Bar Association having served as National Section Chair of the Maritime Law Section from 2012 to 2014 and provincial section chair of the Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Law Section since 2014. William has twice been elected as a Director of Mining Industry NL, a not-for-profit industry association that represents all sectors of the mineral industry in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. In 2018, William had the privilege of serving as a member of the advisory council developing a new mining strategy for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2008)
- Dalhousie University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A. History/Political Science, 2004)
- Dalhousie University (LL.B., 2007)
- Dalhousie University (Specialization Certificate in Marine Law, 2007)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (Certificate in Mining Law, 2012)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member – Canadian Bar Association
- Member – Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Past Chair – Marine/Admiralty Law Section, Canadian Bar Association NL Branch
- Past Chair – National Maritime Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
- Chair – Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Law Section, Canadian Bar Association NL Branch
- Director – Mining Industry NL
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Chairperson and Honourary Legal Counsel and Director, St. John Ambulance – Newfoundland and Labrador
- Former Chairperson – St. Bonaventure’s College Alumni Committee
- Chairperson – Royal Canadian Air Cadet League – NL
Lectures & Presentations
- “Catch This: New Licencing and CRA Policies for Atlantic Fishers”, February 2012
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association