Wayne has a broad range of international and domestic mergers and acquisitions, corporate and commercial, general legal and consulting expertise. He has acted as lead counsel and strategic advisor on numerous acquisitions, licensing and financings of many subsea and terrestrial telecommunications businesses, in the international seafood processing and marketing industry, and on aviation matters (across Canada, and internationally); on many domestic and international commercial insolvency and restructuring projects; on energy and transportation matters in Newfoundland and Labrador, including in respect of the Hibernia Project and Transshipment facilities, the Star Lake Hydro Project and the Wind Energy Project in St. Lawrence; and on other complex transactions in the energy, telecommunications, aviation, fishing and aquaculture industries.
Wayne has been acting as lead counsel since inception for a diversified international telecommunications group, operating in 23 countries throughout the greater Caribbean, Andean and Central America region, including as issuer of high yield debt in the US and International capital markets, on many transactions, exceeding US$ 1 Billion in value.
Wayne has also been a senior advisor and lead local counsel for many years to the insurance industry association (Insurance Bureau of Canada), numerous insurers, and continues to serve as Managing Director of the industry funded uninsured motorist fund (Judgment Recovery (Nfld.) Ltd.).
For several decades, Wayne has been lead counsel in Newfoundland and Labrador to one of Canada’s largest chartered banks, and routinely acts on complex financial transactions, assets recovery activities, and related litigation.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1982)
- University of New Brunswick
- Dalhousie University (B.Comm., 1977)
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B., 1981)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountants Board of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Director and member, Insolvency Institute of Canada (IIC)
- International board member, State Capital Group
- Member and past-president, Canadian Transport Lawyers’ Association
- Member and past board member, American Transportation Lawyers’ Association
- Past member of the council, CCH Publishing (USA) Advisory Council
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Chair, Board of Directors, Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corp. (NLC)
- Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada – Active volunteer since 1982, including member of the St. John’s Branch Board, Past Chair of the VON Newfoundland Board and Past Chair of the National Board, founding Chairperson of the national board of the VON Canada Foundation, and recently conferred a Life Membership.
- National Broadcast Reading Service (NBRS) and The Accessible Channel Inc. (TAC) – Served on the Board of NBRS and as founding Chairperson of TAC.
- Public Legal Information Association of Newfoundland – Past Chairman of the board.
- Rotary Club of St. John’s – Past-President and member.
- Canadian Ski Patrol – Member of the National Legal Committee.
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador