- Jane Hughes (She/her)
Suzanne is the Managing Partner of Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office and practices in the area of citizenship and immigration law. She was called to the Nova Scotia Bar in 1998 and received her Queen’s Counsel (now King’s Counsel) designation in 2021.
Suzanne regularly assists clients with Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit Applications, NAFTA Work Permit Applications, and Labour Market Impact Assessment-based Work Permit Applications, as well as Study Permit Applications and Temporary Resident Visa Applications. She also assists clients with various types of Applications for Permanent Residence, including under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program, Express Entry and the Nova Scotia Nominee Program, as well as Citizenship Applications and Permanent Resident Card Renewal Applications. Suzanne provides these services in English and German.
She is an executive member of the Canadian Bar Association’s National Immigration Law Section and Past Chair of the Citizenship and Immigration Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia). She also sits on the Grow and Nurture the Skilled Workforce Task Force of the Halifax Chamber of Commerce.
Suzanne is the Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Maritime Provinces.
- Assisting a golf course developer in obtaining Labour Market Opinion-based Work Permits and NAFTA Professionals Work Permits.
- Assisting a large fish processing plant in obtaining Work Permits for a number of employees, both as Intra-Company Transferees and based on Labour Market Impact Assessments.
- Assisting a German multinational company in obtaining LMO-based Work Permits for 200+ workers.
- Assisting a Mexican multinational company in obtaining LMO-based Work Permits for 100+ workers.
- Assisting many clients obtain Permanent Resident status through Federal and Provincial Nominee Programs.
- Assisting many clients with Inside and Outside Canada Spousal Sponsorship Applications.
- Assisting many clients with Canadian Citizenship Applications.
- Assisting a multi-national offshore drilling contractor in obtaining Intra-Company Transferee Work Permits.
- Nova Scotia (1998)
- Dalhousie University
- Dalhousie University (BA, 1993)
- Dalhousie Law School (LLB, 1997)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Canadian German Lawyers’ Association
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association (National Immigration Law Section)
- Past Chair, Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia Immigration Section)
- Greater Halifax Partnership; Immigration Leadership Council
- Past Director of the Immigration & Diversity Team for FUSION Halifax
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Committee Member, Skilled Worker Task Force , Halifax Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member, German-Canadian Association of Nova Scotia
- Former Director, Immigration & Diversity Team for FUSION Halifax
Lectures & Presentations
- “Immigration to Canada: A Primer” – presentation to Dalhousie International students
Speaker at the Canadian Bar Association National Immigration Law Conference
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot: A New Immigration Pilot for Skilled Refugees
- Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry – A Fantastic Way to Immigrate to Nova Scotia
- The Atlantic Immigration Program, an Option for Immigrating to Atlantic Canada
- Intra-Company Transferee Work Permits: Facilitating Corporate Expansion to Canada
- An Insight into the Francophone Mobility Program: Strengthening Our Communities and Work Force with French-Speaking Foreign Workers
- Hiring International Students: Benefiting Employers, Students and the Local Economy
- Intra-Company Transferee Work Permits: A possible solution despite current travel restrictions
- COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions in Canada: The Impact on Foreign Nationals Entering Canada
- Atlantic pilot program fast track to East Coast immigration
- The Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program, an Option for Immigrating to Atlantic Canada
- The Atlantic Immigration Pilot, an Option for Immigrating to Nova Scotia
- Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry
- Canada’s New Express Entry System
- How to Obtain a Canadian Work Permit