Stewart is a partner in the Halifax office. Stewart brings over 10 years of experience in intellectual property protection, intellectual property litigation, commercial litigation, privacy, medical defence litigation, and professional discipline matters.
Stewart is a registered Canadian Patent Agent, United States Patent Agent, and a registered Canadian Trade-Mark Agent.
Stewart obtained his Bachelor of Science in physics from St. Francis Xavier University and his Master of Science in physics from the University of Guelph. Stewart worked in imaging software before obtaining his law degree from Dalhousie University in 2003. Stewart practiced IP litigation in Toronto and patent prosecution at a fuel cell technology company in Vancouver before returning home to join Cox & Palmer in 2010.
Stewart has been recognized nationally as a Lexpert “Rising Star: Leading Lawyers Under 40” and “Canadian Corporate Lawyer to Watch.”
Stewart practices a broad range of commercial litigation, particularly commercial litigation with a scientific or technology component.
In addition to his commercial litigation practice, Stewart’s current IP practice includes patent and trade-mark applications, IP assignment and licensing transactions, development agreements, patentability, patent infringement and freedom to operate opinions, trade-mark opposition practice, trade-mark infringement, trade-mark registerability opinions, and domain name arbitration.
He has experience dealing with privacy matters, and the United States International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”), and the US Bahy-Dole Act.
Stewart also works in the area of health law and medical defence, including acting as counsel to the Canadian Medical Protective Association and its member physicians.
Stewart has appeared before the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia, the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
- Ontario (2004) (retired)
- British Columbia (2006) (retired)
- Nova Scotia (2010)
- Dalhousie University
- Dalhousie Law School (LL.B. 2003)
- University of Guelph (M.Sc. Physics 1997)
- St. Francis Xavier University (B.Sc. Hons Physics 1995)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- United States Trade-mark Agent (2014)
- United States Patent Agent (2013)
- Canadian Patent Agent (2008)
- Canadian Trade-mark Agent (2006)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Canadian Bar Association (Former Chair, Intellectual Property – Nova Scotia Branch)
Activities Within Firm
- Halifax Executive Committee (2014 – 2017)
- Halifax Recruiting Committee, Past Chair (2012 – 2014)
- Regional Diversity Committee Member (2013 – 2014)
Lectures & Presentations
- 2011 – CBA, Nova Scotia Branch Annual Professional Development Conference, Taking Security Interests in Intellectual Property
- Stewart often speaks on IP matters and good IP practice.
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- The Law Society of British Columbia