Steve is a partner with the Charlottetown office of Cox & Palmer. The focus of Steve’s practice is general litigation, insurance defence, municipal law and administrative law. Steve’s experience includes advising on contested will and estate matters, commercial disputes, construction disputes, wrongful dismissal, personal injury, privacy, judicial review and general litigation. He has frequently appeared at all levels of court in Prince Edward Island.
A confident and articulate orator, Steve draws on his previous experience in the classroom and theatre, to complement his litigation practice. Never one to leave a stone unturned, Steve works diligently for his clients to ensure they are aware of potential risks and all options, and takes a collaborative approach to choosing the path that will get them a result suited to their needs.
Steve’s academic performance has garnered him several awards and scholarships. Steve was called to the Prince Edward Island Bar in 2014 following his graduation from the University of New Brunswick law school with a Juris Doctor. An accomplished scholar, and lifelong learner, prior to embarking on a legal career, Steve was a teacher and completed his Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education at the University of PEI, and a Masters of Education at the University of Calgary.
Steve is a dedicated lawyer and family man who is as approachable as he is perseverant.
- Co-counsel representing clients in litigation with an emphasis on dispute resolution.
- Represents clients in estate litigation matters.
- Appeared before the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island, Court of Appeal, and other administrative tribunals.
- Prince Edward Island (2014)
- University of New Brunswick
- University of New Brunswick (Juris Doctor, 2013)
- University of Calgary (Masters of Education, 2010)
- University of Prince Edward Island (Bachelor of Education, 2005)
- University of Prince Edward Island (Bachelor of Arts, 2003)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association – ADR Section
- Law Society Library Committee, Co-Chair
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Young at Heart, Interim Chair
- Liberal District 15, Treasurer
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Prince Edward Island
- Amendments to Statement of Claim May Be Allowed After Expiry of Limitation Period
- Deducting Collateral Benefits From Loss of Income Claims
- Applicable Test for Non-Party Production Orders
- Established Guidelines or Just Suggestions: Lifting Default Judgment
- PEI Court Addresses Common Law Vehicle Ownership and Piercing the Corporate Veil
- Insurance Litigation Group: Atlantic Canada Case Law Updates
- Regional Insurance Litigation Group: Atlantic Canada Case Law Updates