Stephen May is a partner in the St. John’s office of Cox & Palmer. He was admitted to the Newfoundland and Labrador Bar in 1988 after completing his education at the University of Ottawa.
Stephen’s practice focuses on civil litigation with an emphasis on insurance. He has acted on behalf of a number of insurance companies that underwrite home, automobile, disability, and Errors & Omissions coverage in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Stephen has provided advice on policy drafting and interpretation as well as the handling of claims. He has counseled government, aboriginal groups and corporations on various constitutional issues, including aboriginal land claims.
Stephen has appeared before various administrative tribunals, all courts within Newfoundland and Labrador, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1988)
- University of Ottawa
- Carleton University (B.A. 1983)
- University of Ottawa (LL.B. 1987)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member, Electoral Advisory Committee to the Chief Electoral Office of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Member, Newfoundland and Labrador Law Society Insurance Committee
- Past Chair, Advisory Board, Canadian Lawyers Insurance Association
Lectures & Presentations
- “Advocacy in the Discovery Process”, Newfoundland and Labrador Bar Admission Course
- “Per Quod Servitium Amisit and Employers’ Rights of Recovery: A Changing Approach”, Newfoundland and Labrador Civil Litigation Sub-section, Canadian Bar Association
- Frequent speaker on insurance related topics
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador