Sean focuses on providing advisory and transactional services to business and industry. Clients appreciate Sean’s straight-forward and practical approach to providing sound counsel on a timeline that works for their business. He regularly provides guidance on a wide-range of issues for private and public companies, financial institutions and others who take can take comfort that while they focus on their operations, Sean will protect their interests and get the deal done.
- Counsel to major Canadian financial institutions and private lenders on a wide-variety of commercial lending related matters, including the preparation of credit agreements, placement of security/negotiation of priority agreements, and the enforcement of existing security.
- Regularly advises purchasers and sellers of commercial enterprises operating in regulated and unregulated environments including financial services, construction, and public utilities.
- Counsel to numerous small and medium businesses in tax-driven corporate restructurings.
- Regularly advises commercial landlords and tenants on leasing issues, including acting as counsel to large cross-Canadian landlords on all matters relating to the leasing and acquisition of real property.
- Nova Scotia (2010)
- Dalhousie University
- Mount Saint Vincent University (BPR, 2004)
- Dalhousie Law School (L.LB., 2009)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member, Steering Committee of the Canadian Tax Foundation Young Practitioners (Nova Scotia, 2011-2015)
- Contributing editor for Canadian Tax Foundation Young Practitioners (Nova Scotia) Domestic Income Tax Considerations When Immigrating to Canada (2011-2015)
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Centre for Entrepreneurship Education and Development (CEED), Loan Review Committee Member (2011 – 2014)
- FUSION Halifax, Corporate Secretary and Legal Counsel, 2012-2013
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Title Insurance: Peace of Mind for the Commercial Lender
- The Taxman Cometh: CRA Priorities in Insolvency Proceedings
- Consumer Protection in the Banking Industry
- Mortgage Backed Loan Transactions
- Trapdoors in Newfoundland and Labrador Transactions: Prohibited Financial Assistance
- The CRA's Revised Fundraising Guidelines: Legislation Needed
Lectures & Presentations
- Trust Residency – Halifax Estate Planning Committee