Sandra is a partner in Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office. Her primary areas of practice include insurance litigation, civil litigation, and administrative law. She was admitted to the Nova Scotia Bar in 1994, having completed her Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Laws degrees at Dalhousie University.
Sandra is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society, the Canadian Defence Lawyers and the Nova Scotia Medical Legal Society. She is past Chair of the Administrative Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia Branch).
A frequent lecturer on civil litigation and insurance defence, Sandra has also instructed the Civil Procedure Workshop at the Schulich School of Law. She has also participated in feedback sessions for the Nova Scotia Bar Admission Course.
Sandra regularly represents clients in matters involving long term disability disputes, motor vehicle insurance claims and commercial risks. She has appeared before all levels of court in Nova Scotia and the Federal Court of Appeal. Sandra has also appeared before numerous administrative Boards and Tribunals in relation to disability claims and professional disciplinary hearings.
- Nova Scotia (1994)
- Dalhousie University
- Dalhousie University (B.Sc. with Distinction 1990)
- Dalhousie Law School (LL.B. 1993)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member, Nova Scotia Medical Legal Society
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
Activities Within Firm
- Member, Halifax Executive Committee
- Co-chair, Halifax Regulated Professions Group
- Member, Regional Diversity Committee
- Chair, Gender Diversity Committee – Halifax
- Chair, Regional Insurance Seminar Committee
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Member, IWK Foundation, Halifax Advisory Committee (2015 -)
- Member, Lebanese Chamber of Commerce in Nova Scotia (2015 -)
- Board of Directors, Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia (2016 -)
Lectures & Presentations
- Speaker, Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association/Canadian Independent Adjusters Association (CICMA/CIAA) Joint Seminar: June 16, 2005, Halifax NS – “On a “Puzzle Journey” – Understanding Nova Scotia’s Automobile Insurance Reform Act (Bill 1)”
- Speaker, Canadian Bar Association Annual Professional Development Conference: January 12, 2007, Halifax, NS – “The Tipping Point” – Ensuring your Experts’ Opinion Wins the Day”
- Speaker, Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association/Canadian Independent Adjuster Association (CICMA/CIAA) Joint Seminar: June 24, 2011, Digby, NS “Demographics in the P&C Insurance Industry”
- Speaker, Insight Disability Claims in the Workplace Conference: April 30, 2012, Halifax NS — “Managing Invisible Disabilities at Work – Legal Considerations”
- Speaker, ADR Institute of Canada (ADRIC) Annual National Conference: October 25, 2012, Halifax NS — “New and Undiscovered Niches”
- Co-Chair and Moderator, The Advocates’ Society, 2014, Halifax Bench and Bar Series: April 24, 2014, Halifax NS — “Managing the Difficult Witness”
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society