Born in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Paul was admitted to the Newfoundland and Labrador Bar in 1984, having completed his education at Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A., 1978) and Osgoode Hall (J.D., 1983).
Paul is a former President of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, former Adjunct Professor (Humanities) in the Faculty of Medicine of Memorial University of Newfoundland, and past Director and Chair of the Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador.
He was formerly Director and Chair of St. Michael’s Artists-Printmakers Association, Director and Chair of Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador, and a Director of Bannerman Park Foundation. Paul presently serves as a Vice Chair of the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra, and as Chair of the Community Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
As a member of Canadian Bar Association, Paul was President of the Newfoundland and Labrador Branch (1993-1994), Chair of the National Health Law Section (1997-1998), a member of the National Communications Committee (1993-1996), a member of the CBA/Supreme Court of Canada Liaison Committee (1998-2000) and a former Provincial Chair of the Elder Law Section of CBA.
Paul was a member of the Provincial Advisory Committee on Genetics Issues, developing guidelines for human genetic research in Newfoundland and Labrador, and he chaired the CBA National Health Law Committee on New Reproductive and Genetic Technologies.
Paul was awarded the Canadian Bar Association – Newfoundland and Labrador Branch’s Distinguished Public Service Award for 2002. This award was instituted by the Newfoundland and Labrador Branch in 2000 to recognize outstanding contributions to community service.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1984)
- Osgoode Hall Law School
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A. 1978)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (J.D. 1983)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Past President, Canadian Bar Association (NL Branch) (1993-1994)
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association, National Health Law Section (1997-1998)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, National Communications Committee (1993-1996)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, CBA/Supreme Court of Canada Liaison Committee (1998-2000)
- Past Provincial Chair, Elder Law Section of CBA
- Member, Provincial Advisory Committee on Genetic Research
- Past Chair, CBA Health Law Committee on New Reproductive and Genetic Technologies
Activities Within Firm
- Member, Estates & Trusts practice group
- Member, Litigation practice group
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Chair, Board of Directors, Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra
- Board of Directors, Bannerman Park Foundation
- Honourary Bencher and Former President, Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Former President, Canadian Bar Association (NL Branch)
- Past Board Chair of Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador
- Adjunct Professor (Humanities), Memorial University Faculty of Medicine (2000-2013)
- Former Chair, Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Former Director and Chair, St. Michael’s Artists-Printmakers Association
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association
- Significant Development in the Law of Guardianship in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Update: The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador Clarifies Probate Fees Payable for Pre-June 2015 Estates
- The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador to clarify probate fees payable pursuant to the Services Charges Act