Monika is a partner in the Fredericton office of Cox & Palmer. She was called to the New Brunswick Bar in 1991 after completing her education at the University of New Brunswick. Monika first joined the firm in 1991, and has close to 30 years of experience as an insurance litigator. Her fluent ability in French and English enhances the bilingual capacity Cox & Palmer offers.
Monika’s practice focuses primarily on insurance defence litigation in the areas of general liability, motor vehicle, property, casualty, professional negligence and coverage matters.
Monika’s experience as Commissioner to the New Brunswick Public Utilities provided her with the opportunity of developing specialized advocacy skills related to the practice of regulatory schemes at municipal, provincial and federal levels. Over the course of her litigation career, her practice has also encompassed diverse areas of administrative law, advocating before various tribunals in the fields of employment law, as well as that of professional liability.
Monika has been, and continues to be active in professional development within the legal community and continues to author articles and comments in various industry publications. For several years, Monika has been a Member of the Ethics and Competence Committee, the Examining Committee and the Admissions Committee of the Law Society of New Brunswick. She is a past Member of the Ethics Committee of the Canadian Bar Association and Past President of Risk Management Counsel of Canada, remaining a Member of its Executive. Monika has been a longstanding Lecturer at the Civil Litigation program of the Law Society of New Brunswick Bar course and a guest Lecturer for the Negotiations course offered at the University of New Brunswick. Monika is involved in numerous endeavours and fundraising projects for various organizations in the community.
- New Brunswick (1991)
- Ontario (2004)
- University of New Brunswick
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B. 1990)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member – Risk Management Counsel (a national affiliation of Insurance defence firms from across Canada)
- Past President – Risk Management Counsel
- Past President – Canadian Bar Association, National Insurance Law Section
- Past Commissioner – Public Utilities Board of New Brunswick
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Board of Directors – Women in Transition House Inc.
Law Society Memberships
- York-Sunbury Law Society
- Law Society of Ontario
- Law Society of New Brunswick
- Canadian Bar Association
- Absolute Liability: Applicability and Exceptions - When Is It Absolute?
- New Brunswick Update: Notice Now Required to Sue a Municipality
- New Summary Judgment Motion Rule Introduced in New Brunswick: More Than Just a Tool to Dismiss Meritless Claims
- The Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments in New Brunswick: The Path Through Murky Water