Mohammad Ali has more than 10 years of experience of undertaking general corporate commercial advisory and transactional and regulatory work, both in private practice and in-house in a number of jurisdictions in Asia, Middle-east and Europe.
After moving to Canada to reunite with his family in 2014, Mohammad Ali was called to the Nova Scotia Bar in 2016. His practice is focused on supporting businesses in a wide variety of sectors. His clients include SMEs, as well as, large scale businesses seeking advice and assistance on various aspects of business law. From drafting complex contracts to advising on consumer protection laws, Mohammad Ali is keen to provide practical solutions to the challenges his clients face at every stage and aspect of their business operations.
Mohammad Ali is particularly interested in advising clients on mergers, acquisitions and business-setup. He is engaged regularly by business clients in consumer intensive businesses as well as clients working in the renewable energy, oil and gas, power and construction projects. He helps his clients develop and negotiate a variety of contracts for their business operations including agency and licensing agreements, shareholders agreements, investments and subscription agreements, joint venture agreements, service contracts and Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contracts.
Mohammad Ali, having worked extensively in fast-paced business environments, is sensitive to the need to respect timelines, to be efficient and to be responsive. He believes passionately in working hard to understand the business of his clients – a trait that he feels is a distinguishing characteristic of a successful business lawyer.
- Barrister, 2005, Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, UK
- Advocate Lower Court, 2005, Punjab Bar Council, Pakistan
- Advocate High Court, 2008, Punjab Bar Council, Pakistan
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England & Wales, 2009, The Law Society, UK
- Barrister & Solicitor, 2016, Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society, Canada
- University of the West of England, Bristol
- Bar Vocational Course-Post-graduate Diploma in Law, University of the West of England, Bristol (2005)
- LLB Honours, University of London, UK (2004)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Member-at-Large, CBA National Environment, Energy and Resources Law Section (2018 – )
Activities Within Firm
Chair, Ocean Innovation Industry Group (2017 – )
Community & Volunteer Activities
- ISANS Workplace Placement Program, (2017 – )
- Vice-President & Director, Pakistani Canadian Association of Nova Scotia (2016 – )
- Global Advisor to NS Exporters, NSBI International Connectors Program (2016 – )
- Halifax Partnership Connector Program, (2016 – )
Lectures & Presentations
- Columbia University, New York, USA-Harriman Institute, Presentation on “The Energy Charter Treaty and its Role in Central and South Asia” (2007)
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Cap and Trade Primer on NS Emissions
- Nova Scotia: Marine Renewable-energy General Regulations - Important Considerations for Project Developers
- Nova Scotia: Marine Renewable Energy Act 2.0 - Amended and Proclaimed in Force: What’s New?
- Oil & Gas: Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board Calls for Bids for Six Offshore Parcels
- Nova Scotia: Marine Renewable Energy Act - A Synopsis