Matthew is an associate in Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office. Matthew received his law degree from the University of New Brunswick, where he graduated on the Dean’s List, and his LLM from the Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University, where he was a Nova Scotia Law Foundation Millennium Scholar. A transplant to Nova Scotia from Newfoundland and Labrador, Matthew was called to the Newfoundland and Labrador Bar in 2015 and to the Nova Scotia Bar in 2018.
Matthew has a broad range of litigation experience in the areas of health law, professional negligence, and insurance litigation. His practice includes a focus on health law, principally in both professional negligence actions and regulatory proceedings. A significant part of his practice also includes defending claims against insurers and their insureds involving property damage, coverage disputes, tort motor vehicle claims, slip and falls, and occupiers liability claims. He has experience before courts in both Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as various administrative and disciplinary bodies.
Matthew serves on Cox & Palmer’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and is the Chair of the Equity Committee of the Canadian Bar Association – Nova Scotia Branch.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2015)
- Nova Scotia (2018)
- University of New Brunswick
- Memorial University (BA Hons 2011)
- University of New Brunswick (JD 2014)
- Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University (LLM 2016)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Chair, Equity Committee, Canadian Bar Association, Nova Scotia Branch
- Former Chair of Aboriginal Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, Newfoundland and Labrador Branch
- Former Member, Indigenous Education and Action Committee, Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Former Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association, SOGIC Community Forum
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Canadian Bar Association