Since joining Cox & Palmer, Matt has established himself as a unique leader in privacy law and data security. Matt is an experienced Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada (CIPP/C) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), and he works closely with clients to identify timely and cost-effective solutions to data breaches, cybersecurity incidents, and freedom of information and access requests.
Working out of Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office, Matt also has a diverse practice in commercial litigation and insurance defence matters. Skilled in oral advocacy and resolving commercial disputes, Matt has appeared before the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, and all levels of court in Ontario.
Prior to joining Cox & Palmer, Matt practiced complex commercial litigation in Toronto with a global firm. In addition, Matt previously had a successful consulting career based in Vancouver, managing a diverse portfolio of public health security projects for clients across North America.
Matt’s academic experience also includes common and civil law degrees from McGill University, an LL.M in international criminal law from the University of Sussex, and an M.A. in political science from Simon Fraser University.
Matt has a wide-ranging data privacy and commercial litigation practice, acting for local, national, and international clients in industries such as defence, technology, health care, real estate, and transportation. His practice involves rapidly responding to cyber incidents, including ransomware attacks, data breaches, and complex FOIPOP matters. In addition, Matt represents commercial clients in a range of disputes involving injunctive relief, fraud investigations, insurance claims, and breach of contract. Matt also writes and speaks frequently on privacy law and cybersecurity matters.
- Nova Scotia (2017)
- Ontario (2013)
- McGill University
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) – Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada (CIPP/C), 2018
- McGill University (LLB and BCL Common and Civil Law, 2012)
- University of Sussex (LLM International Criminal Law, 2004)
- Simon Fraser University (MA Political Science, 2002)
- Bishop’s University (BA Philosophy and Political Science Honours, 2000)
Lectures & Presentations
- Presentation: “What’s in Your (Digital) Wallet: Digital Assets in an Era of Privacy & Cybersecurity”, Financial Services Breakfast Presentation, December 2019
- Presentation: “Wash Your Digital Hands: Good Data Hygiene in an Era of 21st Century Cybersecurity and Privacy Concerns” – CICMA Insurance Conference, June 2019
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- An “Adequate” Makeover? Canadian Privacy Law gets a 21st Century Upgrade
- Privacy Gets Pricey: Rising GDPR Fines and the Risks Facing Canadian Companies
- National COVID-19 App Available in Nova Scotia; Potential for Public Health Gains while Privacy Questions Remain
- Canada’s valuable COVID-19 research vulnerable to Russian, Chinese hacks
- Client Alert: Remote Work, Data Breaches and Cybersecurity Considerations during COVID-19
- Canada’s new data breach notification rules: What you need to know
- The Day After: Canada’s Breach Notification Rules Soon to be in Effect
- Locked Out and Out-of-Luck: The Impact of Ransomware on SMEs