Matt is an experienced lawyer and a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada (CIPP/C) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Working out of Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office, Matt has a diverse background in complex commercial litigation, data privacy, defamation, emergency management, and security consulting. Matt has demonstrated successes in both the Nova Scotia and Ontario legal markets. Skilled in oral advocacy, privacy-related matters, and resolving commercial disputes, Matt has appeared before the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia and all levels of court in Ontario. In addition, Matt’s academic experience includes common and civil law degrees from McGill University, and an LL.M in international criminal law from the University of Sussex.
Prior to joining Cox & Palmer, Matt practiced complex commercial litigation at the Toronto office of a global firm. In addition, Matt previously had a successful consulting career in Vancouver, B.C., managing a diverse portfolio of public health security projects for clients across North America.
Matt has a diverse commercial litigation practice, having acted for both domestic and foreign clients in industries such as banking, mining, and technology. Matt’s practice focuses on commercial disputes involving breach of contract, data privacy issues, defamation, insurance-related matters, asset recovery, fraud investigations, class actions, and appellate advocacy.
- Nova Scotia (2017)
- Ontario (2013)
- McGill University
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) – Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada (“CIPP/C”), 2018
- McGill University (LL.B. and B.C.L. Common and Civil Law, 2012)
- University of Sussex (LL.M. International Criminal Law, 2004)
- Simon Fraser University (M.A. Political Science, 2002)
- Bishop’s University (B.A. Philosophy and Political Science Honours, 2000)
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society