Armed with a host of advocacy skills, Maria, is ready to direct her clients in finding the best solution for themselves and their family. She focuses on resolving each unique client matter as quickly and effectively as possible and she feels it is essential to understand her clients and their needs to find the best approach to take in order to achieve the most desirable outcome.
Maria is personable, articulate and analytical, along with her experience appearing before both Provincial Court and the Court of Queen’s Bench and as a prosecutor for the Mental Health Court, she has the knowledge and skill to fight for her clients.
Family law is an area of law that deals with a wide variety of family-related issues and domestic partnerships, to issues arising from marriage such as adoption, surrogacy, child protection, custody and domestic violence. Maria can assist you with marriage agreements, divorce proceedings, division of family property and spousal and child support. To be more specific, Maria’s understanding of family law encompasses a range of abilities including case analysis, exceptional research skills, making oral submissions, and being able to put forward a strong and persuasive case.
Maria uses her experience as a Crown Prosecutor to help her clients navigate the criminal justice system to ensure they have timely information, an understanding of the process and fair outcomes. Her dedication to her clients shines as she is able to guide them through difficult situations.
- New Brunswick (2016)
- University of New Brunswick
- Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law (LLM, 2015)
- University of New Brunswick (JD, 2013)
- University of Prince Edward Island (BA, 2009)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Civil Officiant – Province of New Brunswick
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Board of Directors – Avenue B Harm Reduction Inc. (formerly AIDS Saint John Inc.) (2016 – )
- Performer – Vagina Monologues, Imperial Theatre (2018)
- Background Performer – Ron Maxwell’s Copperhead: The War at Home (Released 2013)
- Columnist – Community Triple Take, Daily Gleaner (2011 – 2013)
Lectures & Presentations
- Family Law Presenter – Public Legal Education and Information Service of New Brunswick (2016 – 2017)
- Presenter – St. Thomas University Human Rights and Social Justice Symposium (2012)
- Panellist – “Sex Work and the Law: New Directions? First Impressions on the Ontario Court of Appeal’s Decision in Bedford v Canada” (2012)
Law Society Memberships
- Saint John Law Society
- Law Society of New Brunswick
- Canadian Bar Association