Managing Partner, Leanne O’Leary is a distinguished litigator with broad experience across multiple sectors with particular focus in highly regulated industries. For over 20 years, Leanne has litigated an extensive range of matters at all levels of the judicial system in the province; delivering exceptional results for Cox & Palmer’s national and regional insurance and commercial clients. With meticulous preparation and assertive representation, clients benefit from her skill, knowledge, and unique ability to navigate intricate matters with proficiency. Leanne is a trusted advisor who listens intently and leads complete discussions. The success and longevity of Cox & Palmer’s client relationships are a testament to Leanne’s drive to find optimal solutions, all of the time.
First and foremost, Leanne aspires for excellence in every step of the legal process. She is an inspirational leader, whose sound judgement and disposition positively influences everyone around her. This has served her well as the Managing Partner in the St. John’s office, leading a dynamic group of 42 lawyers and over 40 supporting team members. Leanne actively positions Cox & Palmer’s focus on inclusion and diversity, including her commitment on attracting, mentoring and retaining women in the workplace.
A Director on Cox & Palmer’s Regional Board, Leanne extends her leadership in law to the broader community. She is an active member of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, is an elected Bencher and serves as Chair of the Law Society’s Education Committee. In addition to being a regular presenter at local and regional seminars, Leanne has been recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as a leading practitioner (in Personal Injury), and is a recipient of the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal for her volunteer work in the community. She was called to the Newfoundland and Labrador Bar in 1996, after completing her education at Queen’s University.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1996)
- Queen's University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (B. Comm. Hons. Co-op 1992)
- Queen’s University (LL.B. 1995)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member: Advocates’ Society
- Member: Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Elected Bencher, Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Instructor, Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador Bar Admission Course: Civil Procedure
- Steering Committee Member: Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador (General Division): Rules of Court Revision Program
- Steering Committee Member: Newfoundland and Labrador Court of Appeal: Rules of Court Revision Program
- Law Society Representative: Rules Committee of Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador (General Division) and Newfoundland & Labrador Court of Appeal
Lectures & Presentations
- Presenter, Various Local and Regional Firm-sponsored Insurance Law Seminars, 2001-2013
- Presenter, Chartered Insurance Professionals Society Seminar; Newfoundland Chapter: E & O Liability Insurance: Duty to Defend and Indemnify, November 1999
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association