Laura Brocklehurst is an associate in the St. John’s office of Cox & Palmer. Called to the bar in 2009 in Newfoundland and Alberta, Laura is a civil litigator who has extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in matters dealing with negligence, motor vehicle liability and personal injury. Her combination of skills gives Laura the unique ability to analyze a problem from all sides and allows her to provide Cox & Palmer’s clients with sound advice to facilitate their desired resolution.
During her time in Calgary, Laura worked as in-house defense counsel for a national insurer and volunteered with the Children’s Legal and Educational Resource Centre, Calgary Legal Guidance, and the Calgary Cerebral Palsy Association.
As mother to two small children, Laura is very happy to be back in Newfoundland surrounded by family.
- Acted as Class Counsel at a Commission of Inquiry
- Conducted Examinations for Discovery for personal injury matters as both plaintiff counsel and defense counsel
- Conducted Examinations for Discovery for plaintiffs in employment matters
- Successfully argued applications at multiple levels of Court
- Drafted and Filed Statements of Claim, Statements of Defence, Orders and
Affidavits at several levels of Court
- Mediated Small Claims disputes dealing with property and contract issues
- As Defence Counsel ran trial for impaired driving charges
- Made successful applications and sentencing arguments
- Successfully contested crown applications
- Entered pleas for clients
- Attended Pre-Trial Conferences
- Drafted Charter Notices, written arguments and supporting affidavits for client defense
Research and Policy Development
- Created comparative reviews to facilitate development of municipal by-laws and regulations
- Aided in the drafting of municipal by-laws for garbage collection and recycling programs
- Drafted and presented a hospital policy regarding workers’ rights
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2009)
- Alberta (2009)
- University of New Brunswick
- University of New Brunswick (Juris Doctor, 2008)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (Criminology Certificate from the Division of Lifelong Learning, 2005)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (Diploma in Applied Ethics from the Department of Philosophy, 2004)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (Bachelor of Science Degree with a major in Psychology and a minor in English, 2004)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (Completion of the English Cultural Landscape Program through the Departments of History and Geography)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Laura has been a member of the Canadian Bar Association, Calgary Bar Association, Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association and the Criminal Defense Lawyers Association in Alberta.
Community & Volunteer Activities
During her time in Calgary, Laura volunteered with the Children’s Legal and Educational Resource Centre and was a member of both their Marketing Committee and their Events Committee. Laura also spent years volunteering with Calgary Legal Guidance providing pro bono legal advice at their evening clinics. Outside of the legal community, Laura volunteered with the Calgary Cerebral Palsy association taking part in their Wacky Wheels Bike Rally, Pub Night and Christmas Party.
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador