Jorge Segovia is a partner in our St. John’s office. His litigation practice includes the defence of various claims, including professional liability and personal injury actions. His insurance practice includes coverage, defence and subrogation proceedings. Jorge provides coverage opinions and general advice involving various insurance policies (including commercial general liability, builders’ risk, employment practices liability, directors and officers liability, automobile and various property policies).
Jorge has appeared at all levels of court in Newfoundland and Labrador, the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has represented clients at numerous mediations and settlement conferences.
- Weir’s Construction Limited v Warford (Estate), 2018 NLCA 5.
- Team Mechanical Construction Limited v. Viking Fire Protection Inc., 2017 NLTD(G) 102.
- Ingram v. Mercer, 2017 NLTD(G) 29.
- Weir’s Construction Limited v Warford, 2017 NLCA 1.
- Weir’s Construction Limited v. Warford Estate, 2016 NLCA 65.
- Midnight Marine Limited v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, 2015 NLTD(G) 112.
- Midnight Marine Limited v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, 2014 NLTD(G) 166.
- Warford v. Weir’s Construction Limited, 2012 NLCA 79.
- Warford v. Weir’s Construction Limited, 2012 NLCA 37.
- Warford v. Weir’s Construction Limited, 2012 NLTD(G) 42.
- Cole v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, 2010 NLTD 80.
- Faulkner v. Irving Oil et al., 2007 NLTD 92.
- Lombard General Insurance Company of Canada v. Crosbie Industrial Services Ltd., 2006 NLCA 55.
- Brian Hartson v. Donald Craig Hunter, 2006 NLTD 59.
- Ultramar Ltd. v. Rancur Petroleum Services Limited et al., 2005 NLTD 169.
- Ryan v. Moore, 2005 SCC 38.
- Ultramar Ltd. v. Rancur Petroleum Services Ltd., 2005 NLTD 59.
- Lombard General Insurance Company of Canada v. Harvey’s Oil Limited, 2004 NLCA 9.
- Harvey’s Oil v. Lombard General Ins., 2003 NLSCTD 158.
- Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission v. Weir’s Construction Ltd., 2003 NLCA 36.
- Weir’s Construction Ltd. v. Warford, 2001 CanLII 33847 (NL SCTD).
- O’Leary v. Janes, 2001 CanLII 37565 (NL SCTD).
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1993)
- Dalhousie University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A. 1989)
- Dalhousie University (LL.B. 1992)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Defence Research Institute
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc.
- Canadian Bar Association
Lectures & Presentations
- “Indemnity, Hold Harmless and Insurance Clauses”, Cox & Palmer’s Insurance Law Seminar, May 8, 2012, St. John’s, NL.
- “Judging a Risk by its Cover(s): A Review of Overlapping Insurance Coverage Issues”; 6th Annual Insurance Coverage Symposium, Canadian Defence Lawyers, February 12, 2010, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Employer’s Dream: Insurer’s Nightmare! Employer’s Liability: The Need for a Canadian Model”; 35th Annual RIMS Canada Conference, September 13-16, 2009, St. John’s, NL.
- “Use or Operation of a Motor Vehicle: The Evolving Two-Part Test and the Implications for Automobile and Liability Insurers”; 4th Annual Insurance Coverage Symposium, Canadian Defence Lawyers, February 28, 2008, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Specific Issues of Condominium Insurance”; Condominiums and Insurance: Panel Discussion, Insurance Institute, October 19, 2007, St. John’s, NL.
- “Confirmation of Actions and the Effect on Limitation Periods”; Cox & Palmer’s Insurance Law Seminar, June 1, 2007, St. John’s, NL.
- “Insurers, Estoppel and Limitation Periods / Ryan v. Moore: The Supreme Court of Canada Upholds the Limitation Defence”; 2nd Annual Insurance Coverage Symposium, Canadian Defence Lawyers, February 23, 2006, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Emerging Issues in Insurance Law”; Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. (NL Chapter), November 12, 2002, St. John’s, NL.
- “Class Actions: The Newfoundland Perspective”; Cox Hanson O’Reilly Matheson Insurance Law Seminar, September, 2002, St. John’s, NL.
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Mitigation, Credibility and Deductions: A Case Comment on Ryan v. Curlew, 2018 NLSC 72
- Case Law Highlights the Difficulties of Establishing Liability for Slip and Falls During Newfoundland and Labrador Winters
- The Duty to Defend Does Not Arise Until Notice of the Claim is Given
- Court Denies Request to Dismiss Action For Want of Prosecution
- Court Denies Plaintiff's Application to Add Another Plaintiff
- Insurance Litigation Group: Atlantic Canada Case Law Updates
- Regional Insurance Litigation Group: Atlantic Canada Case Law Updates