John P. Barry, QC (formerly of Barry Spalding) is counsel in the Saint John office. John has been recognized annually in both Best Lawyers in Canada and the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory since both ratings were established.
Throughout his legal career, John has held numerous positions and served on provincial and national legal committees . John is a true community leader who has freely given of his time and energy to a number of health advocacy groups at the local, provincial and national levels.
John’s expertise in the health field led to his appointment as chair of the Legal Counsel Section of the Federation Medical Licensing Authorities of Canada in 2000 and in 2006. His tireless work as a Council Member for the Law Society of New Brunswick has spanned four terms, including groundbreaking work as co-chairman on the Integration of the Practice of Law in the Two Official Languages Committee. John also served as chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s Communication and Health Law Committee.
John is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the most prestigious legal organizations in North America, and served as Chair of the Atlantic Provinces Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- New Brunswick (1966)
- University of New Brunswick
- University of New Brunswick (B.A., 1965)
- University of New Brunswick (B.C.L., 1966)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Fellow – American College of Trial Lawyers
- Past Chair – American College of Trial Lawyers, Atlantic Provinces Committee
- Past Chair – Canadian Bar Association, Joint Liaison Committee
- Past Chair – Federation of Medical Licensing Authorities of Canada, Legal Counsel Section
- Past President – Saint John Law Society
- Past Member of Council – Law Society of New Brunswick
- Past Member of Editorial Board – Federated Press Insurance Law
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Co-Chair – Stan Cassidy Centre for Rehabilitation “Dream Again” Campaign
- Founding President – New Brunswick Kidney Foundation
- Founding Member – Saint John Anti-Poverty Group
- Past President – Canadian Lung Association, Nationally and Provincially
- Past President – Canadian Red Cross, New Brunswick Division
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of New Brunswick
- Saint John Law Society