Chartered Mediator, Qualified Arbitrator and experienced corporate commercial lawyer, Jim Musgrave is a partner in Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office.
With more than 25 years experience, Jim acts as outside legal counsel to a number of Atlantic Canada’s top private and public companies, as well as a variety of small and medium sized enterprises, providing legal assistance in a broad range of business activities including financings of all sizes, mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and security enforcement, and securities issues across Atlantic Canada.
Jim has been designated as a Chartered Mediator and Qualified Arbitrator and uses his business experience to assist companies and individuals reach alternative resolutions to disputes. Jim offers private arbitration, mediation and workplace investigation services.
Jim is the recipient of the national 2014 Lionel J. McGowan Award of Excellence in Dispute Resolution, awarded by the ADR Institute of Canada. The McGowan Award recognizes those who have made an outstanding contribution to the development and success of ADRIC on a national level, and have contributed significantly to the promotion and development of alternative dispute resolution across Canada.
- Nova Scotia (1985)
- Dalhousie University
- Mount Allison University
- Dalhousie Law School (LLB, 1984)
- University of Prince Edward Island, Mediation Practice for Lawyers
- Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, Advanced Civil Mediation
- University of Prince Edward Island, Certificate in Conflict Resolution Studies
- Chartered Mediator Designation (2012)
- Qualified Arbitrator Designation (2015)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Past – President, ADR Canada (2012-2014)
- Board of Directors, ADR Atlantic
- Member, Risk Management Association, Atlantic Chapter
- Member, Human Resource Association of Nova Scotia
- Director and Corporate Secretary, SanStone Investments Limited
Activities Within Firm
- Halifax Executive Committee, Member (2012 – 2014 )
- Regional Diversity Committee Member (2013 – )
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Chair, Bethany United Church Long Range Planning Committee
- Volunteer Mediator, Better Business Bureau (Maritimes)
- Vice Chair, Canadian Mental Health Association (Nova Scotia Branch)
- Legal Counsel, Epilepsy Nova Scotia Board Member
- Vice President, Program, Halifax Assistance Fund (short form of “Association for the Alleviation of the Condition of the Poor in Halifax”)
- Secretary, Scottish Rite Charitable Foundation Children’s Learning Centre (for dyslexia)
- Scouts Canada, Medal of Merit (2003)
Lectures & Presentations
- Frequent speaker on mediation and business and commercial law topics.
- Has presented papers for the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society, Canadian Bar Association (national and Nova Scotia), Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals, Risk Management Association, and other organizations.
- Has taught mediation principles at the Bar Admission Course.
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society