As Counsel in the Halifax office, Jane Elise Bates brings extensive experience and an international perspective to our Business Law group. Before joining private practice, Jane spent 15 years working as corporate counsel within government and multi-national corporations in the telecommunications, security, defence, and aviation industries. She has strong business acumen and understands the importance of giving practical and commercially sound legal solutions. She is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada (“CIPP/C”) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals. Jane is recognized for her ability to partner with clients to identify and manage legal risks, and in 2015 was awarded ‘In-House Lawyer of the Year’ at the Australian Law Awards.
Jane is an angel investor, participating financially and as an advisor to a portfolio of international start-ups. She enjoys working with companies to establish a solid legal foundation for growth and ensure their interests and assets are protected. Having served as a director of multiple not-for-profit organizations, Jane also understands the importance of having a trusted legal advisor to help meet regulatory and corporate compliance requirements.
Jane has significant experience providing general corporate commercial advisory and transactional work. She has worked in Australia and France, including as in-house counsel for a large telecommunications company, the government provider of air traffic control / aviation rescue, and a leading international defence contractor. In these roles, Jane led hundred-million-dollar procurements and tenders, managed contractual compliance and disputes for major technology projects, and advised on everything from compliance with consumer laws for new product launches, to US export control laws, to privacy and intellectual property. She has also led teams through organizational change, automating processes and increasing efficiencies. As Practice Innovation Leader, Jane will work with our Innovation Team, further enhancing productivity and increasing client value.
Prior to joining Cox & Palmer, Jane held the position of Executive Director of the Canadian Bar Association – Nova Scotia Branch, managing operations for the association representing 1,400+ lawyers, judges, legal academics, and law students across the province. The broad scope of this role involved the implementation of governance best-practices, improved regulatory compliance and actively promoting the legal profession while also managing the association’s pandemic response.
- Nova Scotia (2021)
- Australian Capital Territory (2004)
- Macquarie University
- University of New South Wales (Master of Laws and Management, 2014)
- Australian National University (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2004)
- Macquarie University (LLB (Hons) & BA (Psych), 2002)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Certified Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Vice-Chair, Business Law Section, Canadian Bar Association – Nova Scotia Branch (2021 – )
- Vice-Chair (Nova Scotia), Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (2019)
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Board Member, Halifax International Marathon Society (Bluenose Marathon & Valley Harvest Marathon) (2019 – )
- Governance Committee of the YMCA of Greater Halifax / Dartmouth (2021 – )
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Changes to privacy laws are coming: How to prepare your organization for Bill C-27 (Digital Charter Implementation Act, 2022)
- Bill C-26: New Cyber Security Obligations for Canadian Businesses Vital to National Security and Public Safety
- Will Your Limitation of Liability Clause Stand Up To Court Scrutiny?