Information for QuadrigaCX Users
Law firms Miller Thomson LLP and Cox & Palmer have been selected by the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia as Representative Counsel on behalf of the approximately 115,000 users affected by the shutdown of the QuadrigaCX cryptocurrency exchange.
Gavin is a partner in the Halifax office. He obtained his law degree Western University. His practice focuses on business law in the areas of organization and financing, business restructuring, insolvency, and banking. Active in the local business community, Gavin is Chair of the Board of Directors for the Halifax Chamber of Commerce.
Gavin has represented individuals, companies, and other organizations from start-up financing to restructuring and sale. He has also advised financial institutions, insolvency professionals and individuals involved in business restructuring, contested and uncontested insolvency proceedings before the trial and appeals courts of Nova Scotia.
- Nova Scotia (2002)
- University of Western Ontario
- Mount Allison University (BA, Honours in Economics, 1998)
- University of Western Ontario (LLB, 2001)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section National Executive (2014 – )
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association – Nova Scotia, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section (2012 – 2014)
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association – Nova Scotia, Business Section (2011 – 2012)
- Risk Management Association (Nova Scotia)
- Canadian Insolvency Foundation
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Chair of the Board of Directors, Halifax Chamber of Commerce (2020 – )
- Vice Chair of the Board of Directors, Halifax Chamber of Commerce (2019 – 2020)
- Director, Halifax Chamber of Commerce (2016 -2019)
- Member, Halifax Chamber of Commerce HR and Governance Committee (2018 -)
- Member, Halifax Chamber of Commerce Audit & Risk Committee (2016 – 2018)
- Chair, Halifax Chamber of Commerce Provincial Affairs Committee (2006 – 2010)
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- True Lessors, the CCAA and Allocation of Administrative Expenses
- Shareholder Loans: Are They Equity or Debt?
- Requirements for Granting a Bankruptcy Order
- Substantive Consolidation: Efficient and Equitable Restructuring of Group Companies
- A Mixed Grill: 2016 Mid-Market Technical Update
- Receivership Orders in Nova Scotia: Case Law Update