- Ashley Cassell
- Phone:(709) 570-5347
- Fax:(709) 738-7999
- Phone:(709) 570-5544
- Fax:(709) 726-3562
Douglas is a corporate lawyer who is continuously sought out by clients and colleagues for his extensive knowledge and experience in tax law and tax litigation. He is also a trusted advisor in areas of commercial transactions, securities and corporate finance, and estates and trusts.
In his tax practice, Douglas advises businesses, individuals, estate representatives, non-profit organizations and registered charities on matters of federal, provincial and municipal taxation including taxpayer objections and appeals.
Douglas is an elected Bencher of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador and has been an instructor in the Bar Admission Course of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador for more than 15 years. He is a frequent presenter to industry and professional groups on topics of taxation and business law.
Douglas is a member of the Board of Governors of the Canadian Tax Foundation and has done presentations at the Foundation’s Atlantic Provinces Tax Conference as well as the National Conference. Douglas has also been on the organizing committee for the Foundation’s biennial St. John’s Tax Seminar since its inception in 2014. He was appointed to Foundation’s Board of Governors in November of 2021.
Community volunteer work is a big part of Douglas’ life. He was a director with the St. John’s Minor Hockey Association for seven years and managed many of the Association’s youth hockey programs during that time. He served for seven years as a public representative of the Newfoundland and Labrador Council of Health Professionals, a statutory body that oversees the regulation of six different professional Colleges in the health care sector. Douglas has also served as a director of the St. John’s Board of Trade from 2018-2020, and is currently a director and member of the executive of the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2003)
- University of Ottawa
- Carleton University (B. Journ. 1986)
- Carleton University (B.A. Hons. 1988)
- Queen’s University (LL.B. 1998)
- University of Ottawa (LL.M. 2001)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Elected Bencher, Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
Activities Within Firm
- Member – Business Practice Group
- Member – Taxation Practice Group
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Board of Governors, Canadian Tax Foundation (2021-)
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association
- Witnessing Wills in Newfoundland and Labrador: What does “in the presence of” actually mean?
- Significant Development in the Law of Guardianship in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Update: The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador Clarifies Probate Fees Payable for Pre-June 2015 Estates
- The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador to clarify probate fees payable pursuant to the Services Charges Act
- CRA Decision Successfully Challenged in Pomeroy’s Masonry Limited v. A.G. Canada