Douglas is a highly regarded corporate lawyer who is continuously sought out by clients and colleagues for his extensive knowledge and experience in tax law and tax litigation. He is also a trusted advisor in areas of commercial transactions, securities and corporate finance and estates and trusts.
In his tax practice, Douglas advises businesses, individuals, estate representatives, non-profit organizations and registered charities on matters of federal, provincial and municipal taxation including taxpayer objections and appeals.
Douglas also advises entrepreneurs on transactions at all stages of the business life cycle. His experience guides clients through incorporations, formation of partnerships, financings, reorganizations and the ultimate sale or succession of the business.
Douglas is a Bencher of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador and has been an instructor in the Bar Admission Course of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador for more than 10 years and is a frequent presenter to industry and professional groups on topics of taxation and business law. He is an active member of the Canadian Tax Foundation and has presented a number of papers at the Foundation’s Atlantic Provinces Tax Conference. Douglas is also on the organizing committee for the Foundation’s biennial St. John’s Tax Conference.
Community volunteer work is a big part of Douglas’ life. He was a director with the St. John’s Minor Hockey Association for 7 years and managed many of the Association’s youth hockey programs during that time and continues to volunteer with the Association. He is currently a public representative of the Newfoundland and Labrador Council of Health Professionals, a statutory body that oversees the regulation of six different professional Colleges in the health care sector.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2003)
- University of Ottawa
- Carleton University (B. Journ. 1986)
- Carleton University (B.A. Hons. 1988)
- Queen’s University (LL.B. 1998)
- University of Ottawa (LL.M. 2001)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Elected Bencher, Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
Activities Within Firm
- Member – Business Practice Group
- Member – Taxation Practice Group
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association
- Significant Development in the Law of Guardianship in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Update: The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador Clarifies Probate Fees Payable for Pre-June 2015 Estates
- The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador to clarify probate fees payable pursuant to the Services Charges Act
- CRA Decision Successfully Challenged in Pomeroy’s Masonry Limited v. A.G. Canada