Profiled by Lexpert® Magazine as a leading lawyer (in corporate and commercial law), and as one of Canada’s top 40 lawyers under 40, Darren is a highly regarded commercial litigator in the Province with an impressive ability to transition between the boardroom and the courtroom. A partner in the St. John’s office, Darren has a deep understanding of corporate law, commercial finance, commercial negotiations and project management, and is routinely called upon by a variety of clients to prosecute significant mandates before the Supreme Court and Appeals Courts in Newfoundland & Labrador. In addition to servicing a number of private clients, Darren acts as lead litigation counsel to a number of large institutional clients, including two Canadian Chartered Banks and a major publicly traded Canadian utility company.
Darren has significant experience working with companies participating in multi-party infrastructure projects, including telecommunications, fibre optic and cable distribution, and energy projects, both onshore and offshore. Beyond providing litigation support to his clients, he frequently works on commercial transactional matters ranging from business start-up to business sale, corporate reorganizations, and commercial financing. In addition to his small to medium sized business client base, Darren counts a number of national, and multinational companies as clients including national retailers, chartered banks, telecommunications companies, construction companies, and firms involved in real estate development and investment.
Outside of his law practice, Darren is actively involved with a number of not-for-profit and industry organizations. These include the Canadian Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, the Canadian Home Builders Association, Junior Achievement Newfoundland and Labrador, the Wreckhouse Jazz & Blues Association, the Newfoundland and Labrador Construction Association, and the Rotary Club of St. John’s.
Darren is a member of the firm’s Management Committee and Regional Board, and currently chairs both the Banking & Finance Practice Group and the Marketing Committee. Darren holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree from the University of New Brunswick, and a Bachelor of Civil Laws Degree with Honors from the National University of Ireland.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2008)
- University of New Brunswick
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B.)
- National University of Ireland (B.C.L., Honours)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- President, Canadian Home Builders Association – Newfoundland and Labrador
- Board Member, Canadian Home Builders Association (National)
- Volunteer, Past Board Member and Secretary, Junior Achievement Newfoundland and Labrador (2008-2011)
- Governance Committee, Newfoundland Oil and Gas Industries Association (2008-2009)
- Member, Rotary Club of St. John’s
Activities Within Firm
- Management Committee, Marketing Partner
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association
- Receiverships and COVID-19 – Is the Pandemic Sufficient Cause for Postponement of an Asset Sale?
- Re Norcon Marine Services Ltd.: Court-appointed vs. Private-appointed Receivers
- In Callidus we “Trust” – The SCC Rules on the Deemed Trust Provisions of the Excise Tax Act and Overturns the Federal Court of Appeal Ruling in Callidus Capital Corporation v. Her Majesty the Queen
- NL Court Finds Standard Mortgage Clause Defeats Canada Revenue Agency “Deemed Trust” Provisions
- Court Lifts Stay of Proceedings to Enforce Costs Award Against Spouse
- NLCA Finds No Conflict of Interest Arising Where Accountants Act in Dual Capacity
- Commercial Real Estate eCase Note