Profiled by Lexpert® Magazine as a leading lawyer in corporate and commercial law, and as one of Canada’s top 40 lawyers under 40, Darren has built a reputation as a bottom line focused and meticulous business lawyer. With an impressive ability to transition seamlessly between the boardroom and the courtroom, Darren not only provides exceptional transactional advice to his business clients, he can be counted on as an effective advocate when disputes arise.
A partner with the firm, Darren routinely advises clients on corporate and commercial matters ranging from business start-up to business sale, corporate reorganizations, bankruptcy and insolvency, commercial financing, and a host of related owner/operator issues. In addition to his small to medium sized business client base, Darren counts a number of chartered banks, national, and multinational companies as clients. These include national retailers, telecommunications companies, construction companies, and firms involved in real estate development and investment.
Outside of his law practice, Darren is actively involved with a number of not-for-profit and industry organizations. These include the Canadian Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, the Canadian Home Builders Association, Junior Achievement Newfoundland and Labrador, the Wreckhouse Jazz & Blues Association, the Newfoundland and Labrador Construction Association, and the Rotary Club of St. John’s.
Darren is a member of the firm’s Management Committee and Regional Board, and currently chairs both the Banking & Finance Practice Group and the Marketing Committee. Darren holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree from the University of New Brunswick, and a Bachelor of Civil Laws Degree with Honors from the National University of Ireland.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2008)
- Ontario (effective Jan. 23, 2017)
- University of New Brunswick
- University of New Brunswick (LL.B.)
- National University of Ireland (B.C.L., Honours)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- President, Canadian Home Builders Association – Newfoundland and Labrador
- Board Member, Canadian Home Builders Association (National)
- Volunteer, Past Board Member and Secretary, Junior Achievement Newfoundland and Labrador (2008-2011)
- Governance Committee, Newfoundland Oil and Gas Industries Association (2008-2009)
- Member, Rotary Club of St. John’s
Activities Within Firm
Management Committee, Marketing Partner
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador