Dan’s practice focuses on health law and medical defence, including acting as counsel to the Canadian Medical Protective Association and its member physicians. His successful litigation practice also includes administrative law, including regulated industries, environmental, and competition law. Dan serves as General Counsel to the Halifax office.
Dan was a founding director, and later chairman and executive committee member, of the Canadian Lawyers’ Insurance Association, a reciprocal insurance exchange providing professional liability insurance for lawyers. He was a director of the Lawyers’ Insurance Association of Nova Scotia. In 2011-2012 he served as President of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society.
Dan was a part-time member of the Faculty of Law of Dalhousie University, teaching Competition Law, and has been a frequent lecturer for the Continuing Medical Education Department of the Faculty of Medicine.
- Appearances before trial and appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia, Court of Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick, the Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Federal Courts of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Appearances before tribunals including the Competition Tribunal, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, and the Investigation and Hearing Committees of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia.
- Nova Scotia (1972)
- Dalhousie University
- Bishop’s University (B.Sc., 1969)
- Dalhousie Law School (LLB, 1972)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Canadian Lawyer’ Insurance Association – founding director
- Nova Scotia Barrister’s Society, Insurance Committee – Chairman
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society – President (2011-2012)
- Nova Scotia Barrister’s Society – Member of Bar Council (2009 – 2012)
- Canadian Lawyer’ Insurance Association – Executive Committee Member (2000-2006)
Activities Within Firm
- General Counsel (2019 – )
- Conflicts Partner – Halifax
- Chair of Medical Defence Group (1999 – 2015)
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Chair, Trustees of St. Matthew’s United Church
- Past Chair, Trustees of Victoria Hall
- Past Chair, Trustees of YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth Legacy Foundation
- Past President, Halifax YMCA
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society