Caitlin is a senior associate with our litigation group in Halifax, practicing in the areas of commercial and construction litigation.
Caitlin has dealt with disputes during all phases of construction projects, from bidding and tendering to real-time change orders and schedule impacts, liens, and post-project impact and delay claims. She has acted for owners, general contractors, and subcontractors alike, advising clients on claims ranging from $10,000 to over $100 million.
Caitlin also assists on, and manages, a variety of complex commercial litigation matters. Caitlin is experienced in all levels of court in Nova Scotia, as well as written submissions to the Supreme Court of Canada, and domestic and international arbitrations and mediations.
Caitlin obtained her Bachelor of Arts (Honours) from Acadia University and her law degree from Dalhousie. In addition to her practice, Caitlin is an annual course instructor on the law of bidding and tendering for the Construction Association of Nova Scotia (CANS), Vice Chair of The Advocates’ Society’s Atlantic Advisory Committee, a member of TAS’ national Young Advocates’ Standing Committee, and a mentor with the Dalhousie Feminist Legal Association at the Schulich School of Law.
Caitlin prides herself on timely and comprehensive strategic advice for clients and their businesses throughout all phases of their projects and litigation matters.
- Established inclusion of pre-existing businesses in commercial sale restrictive covenants/non-competition clauses: Jorna & Craig Inc v Chiasson, 2020 NSCA 42
- Obtained interlocutory injunction preserving option to purchase agreement pending trial: Ucore Rare Metal Inc v IBC Advanced Technologies Inc, 2019 NSSC 396
- Defended Nova Scotia Courts’ jurisdiction over Utah defendants in defamation, unlawful interference with economic relations, unjust enrichment, and breach of contract claims: Ucore Rare Metals Inc v IBC Advanced Technologies, Inc. 2019 NSSC 132
– Upheld on appeal: IBC Advanced Technologies Inc v Ucore Rare Metals Inc. 2019 NSCA 80
– Emergency application for a stay of proceedings, and application for leave to appeal, dismissed at the Supreme Court of Canada
- Obtained costs against a solicitor for misconduct in the course of litigation: Gallagher Holdings Limited v Unison Resources Incorporated, 2019 NSSC 104
– Upheld on appeal: Robinson v Gallagher Holdings Limited, 2019 NSCA 97
- Proved fraudulent misrepresentation and oppression in multi-shareholder litigation: Gallagher Holdings Limited v Unison Resources Incorporated, 2018 NSSC 251
- Argued question of law in favour of general contractor disputing half-million dollar Builders’ Lien Act claim: Liteco v Nova Scotia (Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal), 2017 NSSC 304
- Pursued breach of contract claim for individual professional client: Millennium Commercial Realty Ltd v Scothorn Back Forty Farms Ltd, 2017 NSSC 115
- Defended corporate client in multi-million dollar alleged breach of contract claim: C&C Technologies International Inc v McGregor Geoscience Limited, 2016 NSSC 55
- Defended individual client against interlocutory injunction sought by corporate former employer: D.B. Kenney Fisheries (2014) Limited v Donald Ross and Harbour Authority of Westhead Association (Hfx No. 445433)
- Represented corporate defendant in negligence/bailment claim: Joshua Byers v MacKay’s Auto & Custom Limited (SCCH No. 44 7370)
- Nova Scotia (2015)
- Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law
- Acadia University (BA Honours, 2011)
- Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law (JD, 2014)
Law Society Memberships
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Canadian Bar Association