- Hilary Card
- Phone:(902) 629-3946
Ben is a lawyer in the Cox & Palmer office in Charlottetown. Ben joined the firm after articling and practising as an associate at a top Toronto corporate law firm. Ben has experience in a wide variety of corporate matters, including incorporations and shareholder agreements, corporate re-organizations, purchases and sales of public and private businesses, equity and debt financings, securities law regulation, insolvency and restructuring proceedings (CCAA and BIA), shareholder disputes and commercial litigation. Ben also has experience providing local counsel support (real property and personal property searches, corporate re-organizations, opinions) in Atlantic Canada to out of province clients and law firms.
In 2015, Ben assumed the role of Chief Operating Officer for Cox & Palmer’s offices in Prince Edward Island. In addition to his legal practice, Ben oversees all aspects of the firm’s operations in each of its four PEI offices.
Since joining Cox & Palmer, Ben’s transactional work includes:
- Acted for the purchasers of a 140 unit hotel and conference centre in Charlottetown.
- Acted for the purchasers of a chain of five pharmacies located outside PEI.
- Acted for the purchasers of a major PEI real estate brokerage firm.
- Provided local counsel support to a bank providing significant financing to a Canadian private equity firm completing an acquisition of a large PEI manufacturing company.
- Acted for a private lender in connection with a construction loan for a medical marijuana facility.
- Acted for a group of investor in connection with a private placement of securities of a privately-held New Brunswick-based pharmaceutical start-up.
Prior to joining Cox & Palmer, Ben’s transactional work included:
- Acted for a senior Canadian mining company in connection with its $3.9-billion acquisition of a Quebec-based mining company. The transaction involved the formation of a 50-50 partnership between the two entities which hold and operate the target’s primary mine. The transaction also resulted in a spin-out of a new TSX-listed company.
- Acted for a Canadian based manager of hedge funds with more than $6.7 billion in managed and advised assets, in its acquisition by a global private equity firm.
- Acted for a group of lenders in connection with the $491 million construction and term project financing for two run-of-river hydroelectric projects located in British Columbia.
- Acted for a senior Canadian mining company in connection with its acquisition of TSX-V listed junior mining company with operations in Mexico under a plan of arrangement for approximately $205 million.
- Acted for a syndicate of underwriters in connection with the $228-million initial public offering of a new apartment real estate investment trust, the first IPO in the world of a qualifying U.S. REIT by a non-U.S. entity.
- Ontario (2013)
- Prince Edward Island (2015)
- University of Western Ontario
- University of Prince Edward Island (BA, 2009) – First Class Standing
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Law Society of Prince Edward Island