Arthur began his legal career with the firm in 1995, where he completed his articles of clerkship.
From 1998 until rejoining the firm as a partner in 2004, Arthur was associated with Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, a New York based international law firm. In New York, Arthur’s practice focused on representing public and private companies throughout the United States, Canada and Europe on a wide range of transactions including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity investments, financing transactions and reorganizations.
In 2008 and 2009, Arthur was recognized by his peers as a ‘Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyer in Canada Under 40’. Based on peer selection rankings, Lexpert also named Arthur among the ‘Canadian Corporate Lawyers to Watch’ in its 2009 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada. Arthur was the only lawyer from Atlantic Canada among the 26 recognized. Arthur was recognized with this distinction again in 2010. From 2010, Arthur has been consistently recognized by his peers as a leading practitioner by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the area of corporate finance and securities. From 2013, Arthur has been consistently recognized by his peers as a leading practitioner in Canada by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the area of corporate commercial law.
- Represent public and private companies in various industries in a wide range of transactions, including public-private partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, financing transactions and corporate reorganizations.
- Active practice in the area of corporate finance/securities; represent a broad range of Atlantic Canadian companies, and am involved, with respect to Atlantic Canadian issues, in many of Canada’s national offerings and other corporate finance/securities-related transactions originating elsewhere in Canada, United States and abroad.
- Represent a broad range of capital markets participants, including public issuers, institutional shareholders, dealers and registrants, brokerage houses, investment counselors, mutual fund sales organizations and their respective representatives and sales persons in a wide variety of civil actions and proceedings before securities commissions and self-regulatory organizations.
- Represent shareholders of corporations in connection with shareholder disputes before mediators and arbitrators.
- Represent clients on general corporate matters, corporate governance issues and energy and natural resources.
- New Brunswick (1996)
- New York (1999)
- Osgoode Hall Law School
- Harvard Business School (Audit Committees in a New Era of Governance Program, 2017)
- Harvard Business School (Making Corporate Boards More Effective Program, 2014)
- Harvard Business School (Corporate Restructuring, Mergers and Acquisitions Program, 2010)
- Harvard Business School (Private Equity and Venture Capital Program, 2009)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan School of Management (Executive Certificate in Management and Leadership, 2008 to 2009)
- Harvard Law School (Negotiating Complex Business Deals, Program on Negotiation, 2007)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B., 1992 to 1995)
- Awarded Newton Rowel Entrance Scholarship (one of 2 recipients)
- University of New Brunswick (B.Sc., 1988 to 1992)
- Dean’s List 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1992
- Awarded 1991 John J. McCaffrey Scholarship
- Awarded 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1991 Canada Scholarships
- Awarded 1988 U.N.B. University Special Entrance Scholarship
- Awarded “Silver U.N.B. Student Union Activity Ring” for contribution to student life at U.N.B.
- Fredericton High School (1986 – 1988)
- Awarded a “Black F” for academic and athletic achievement
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- One of 21 Canadian lawyers selected by the Canadian Bar Association to review and comment on the proposed governance and legislative framework for the Cooperative Capital Markets Regulatory System (2015)
- Director – Private Capital Markets Association of Canada – formerly Exempt Market Dealers Association of Canada (2011 – 2015)
- Chair – 5th-8th, 10th-11th and 13th Annual Atlantic Canada and North Eastern United States Power Summit (2007 – 2010; 2012 – 2013; 2015)
- Co-Chair – 9th and 12th Annual Atlantic Canada and North Eastern United States Power Summit (2011 – 2015)
- Co-Chair (from 2016) and Member (from 2007) – National Business Law Section Securities Committee – Canadian Bar Association
- One of 25 Canadian lawyers selected by the Canadian Bar Association to review and comment on the national securities laws and related governance structure of the proposed Canadian securities regulatory authority and provide comments to The Canadian Securities Transition Office (established by the Government of Canada) (2010 to 2011)
- New Brunswick Representative – Canadian Bar Association Securities Committee
- Board Member – Enterprise Saint John (2004 – 2011)
- Council Member – NB Branch, Canadian Bar Association (2004 – 2010)
- Member – American Bar Association, Business Law Section
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Director – Cathedral Heritage Foundation (from 2014)
- Director – Stan Cassidy Foundation (from 2013)
- Pro Bono Legal Counsel – Gentle Path Counselling Services (from 2012)
- Vice Chair (from 2013) and Director – ALCOOL NB LIQUOR, a New Brunswick Crown Corporation (from 2010)
- Executive Committee Member – Restoration of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Diocese of Saint John, New Brunswick (from 2009)
- Board Member – Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick Research Campaign (2010 – 2013)
- Vice Chair and Director – Saint John Port Authority (2007 – 2010)
- Director – Special Olympics New Brunswick (2004 – 2009)
Lectures & Presentations
- Co-Presenter – Incorporation, Investment, Term Sheet & Intellectual Property Considerations (February 2017)
- Co-Presenter – Incorporation, Investment & Intellectual Property Considerations (December 2016)
Law Society Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of New Brunswick
- Saint John Law Society