Anna is a partner in the St. John’s office of Cox & Palmer. She was admitted to the Newfoundland and Labrador bar in 2000, after completing her education at Dalhousie University. Anna has a practice which focuses primarily on corporate and commercial, and she also practices employment and labour, and privacy law.
Anna has an extensive corporate and commercial practice through which she acts for a broad and diverse group of clients ranging from small business startups to large multinational and international corporations. Anna handles commercial financings, commercial real estate purchases, financing and leasing, share sales, asset sales, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures. She also provides advice on startups, incorporation and organization, and general corporate governance.
Anna provides advice to clients on privacy law compliance and access to information requests, both on the Federal and Provincial level. This has included advice regarding access to information requests and the proper handling of personal information. Anna has also represented clients on access to information matters before the Trial Division and the Court of Appeal.
In addition to her privacy and corporate and commercial practices, Anna also advises and represents employers in all areas relating to labour relations and employment law.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (2000)
- Dalhousie University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (B.A (English, French) 1995)
- Dalhousie University (LL.B. 1999)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Regular Contributor –The Advisor, the official publication of the Newfoundland & Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs, NLOWE (2018 – )
- Member – St. John’s Board of Trade Task Force on Succession Planning (2018 – )
- Member – International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member – Past Executive of the Canadian Bar Association Privacy Law Section
- Judge and presenter: Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs (“NLOWE”) Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, 2015
- Past Member – Labour Policy Committee of the Newfoundland & Labrador Employers’ Council
- Past Board Member – Newfoundland and Labrador Building Owners and Managers Association
Activities Within Firm
- Privacy Officer (St. John’s)
- Chair, Occupational Health and Safety Committee
- Co-chair, Regional Student Recruitment Committee
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Business Advisory Board, Enactus Memorial (formerly SIFE Memorial)
- Launch Pad Advisory Board , Enactus Memorial (formerly SIFE Memorial)
- Activator – SheEO’s Act of Radical Generosity
- Board Member: Eating Disorder Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Board Member: Opera on the Avalon
Lectures & Presentations
- Presenter – St. John’s Board of Trade Succession Planning Seminar, March 2019
- Presenter – Newfoundland & Labrador Employers’ Council: Case Law Review, June 2018
- Presenter – Newfoundland Labrador Liquor Corporation: The Care and Keeping of a Respectful Workplace, May 2018
- Lecturer: Memorial University Entrepreneurship Training Program; Legal and Regulatory Matters for Entrepreneurs in Canada, February 2012, August 2013 and February 2014.
- Co-Presenter – NLOWE Annual Conference: Are You Financially Fit?, April 2012
- Presenter – Maritime Access & Privacy Workshop: Employee Monitoring – Striking the balance between the employer’s right to manage and the employee’s right to privacy, June 2011
- Presenter – Newfoundland & Labrador Access & Privacy Workshop: Surveillance and social media – Privacy Issues in Civil Litigation, May 2011
- Presenter – Newfoundland & Labrador Employers’ Council: Do’s and Don’ts of Employee Surveillance, May 2011
- Presenter – Branching Out with Social Media – Are We Leaning on a Dangerous Limb?, March 2011
- Presenter – College of the North Atlantic: Technology Awareness, February 2011
Law Society Memberships
- Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canadian Bar Association
- Getting it Right on Human Rights
- Client Alert: Remote Work, Data Breaches and Cybersecurity Considerations during COVID-19
- A Black Power Suit . . . or an Orange One? How Corporate Directors may be Subject to Personal Liability and How Best to Avoid it.
- At the Very Lease...What to Know Before you Sign a Commercial Lease
- Up Close and Personal…Guarantees
- A Closer Look at Illicit Loans and Financial Assistance in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Getting Your 'Duck-uments' in a Row: Why Proper Corporate Records are More Important Than You Might Think
- Changes to the Labour Relations Act in Newfoundland and Labrador