Andrew is a partner at Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office, practicing mainly in the areas of insurance, commercial litigation and regulated professions.
After obtaining his law degree from Dalhousie University and articling with the firm, Andrew joined Cox & Palmer as an associate in 2009. He is currently the chair of the articling and recruitment committee at Cox & Palmer’s Halifax office, looking for great students to join the firm and guiding them through the articling process.
Insurance defence work makes up a significant portion of Andrew’s practice. He has broad experience representing insurers (and self-insured entities) in responding to claims arising from automobile accidents and property damage, as well as allegations of professional liability, product liability, occupiers’ liability and municipal liability. He regularly acts for insurers on subrogated actions in which efficiency and timeliness are high priorities.
Recognizing that litigation is typically not a client’s first choice in resolving a dispute, Andrew prides himself on being responsive to his clients and taking a practical approach to litigation.
- Appeared before all levels of court in Nova Scotia, the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board and many other administrative boards and tribunals.
- Acts as counsel to the Canadian Medical Protective Association and its member physicians.
- Appeared before the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada, successfully appealing Transport Canada’s refusal to issue a seafarer’s marine medical certificate.
- Acted as co-counsel to Retired Justice David Gruchy in the Knowledge House Inc. proceeding before the Nova Scotia Securities Commission.
- Nova Scotia (2009)
- Dalhousie University
- University of Kings College (B.A. Hons. 2003)
- Dalhousie Law School (LL.B. 2008)
Community & Volunteer Activities
- Secretary and treasurer, Nova Scotia Medical-Legal Society
- Former board member, Nocturne Art at Night
- Former board member, Khyber Arts Society
- Committee member, CBA Law Day
Law Society Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers' Society