Legal Assistant (Litigation) | Halifax, NS
Cox & Palmer is a full-service, top-ranked Atlantic Canadian law firm with the knowledge and experience clients rely upon for solid legal solutions. The firm prides itself on a collegial work atmosphere and supportive team environment.
We hire self-motivated, team-minded individuals with a strong work ethic, integrity and a commitment to client service.
We are seeking a permanent, full-time experienced Legal Assistant to join our Halifax office to provide legal administrative support to lawyers in the Litigation practice group.SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accurate preparation of correspondence and legal documents;
- Processing large volumes of documents, with ability to use technology to store and organize emails and files diligently;
- Meeting deadlines, and ability to multi-task and reprioritize as needed;
- Ensure lawyers are prepared for all meetings and carry forward action items;
- Calendar maintenance, scheduling and organizing meetings, and assisting with client meetings;
- Processing and managing daily emails, phone messages and time sheets;
- Receive incoming communications on behalf of lawyers, review content, determine importance, prioritize and bring to lawyer’s attention;
- Exercise discretion in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information;
- Maintaining detailed and accurate client and administrative files;
- Communicating in a professional manner with lawyers and team members;
- Providing overflow support and help to other assistants as time allows;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years’ administrative experience in a legal environment, with experience in Litigation;
- Preference is given to those with related paralegal/legal assistant formal education;
- Strong competency in the usage of MS Office (particularly Word and Excel), paired with superior typing and dicta-transcription skills;
- The ability to help manage the day-to-day operations of a busy lawyers’ practice including assessing issues, gauging urgencies, reviewing priorities and previous commitments.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service;
- Excellent analytical skills with attention to detail, coupled with strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to help keep tasks and people on track to deliver commitments;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and formatting errors);
- The ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- The willingness to learn and contribute to the team.
Cox & Palmer provides a competitive compensation and benefits package including:
- A generous paid vacation allowance
- Three “flex days” per year
- Paid sick days
- Hybrid work options for many roles
- Firm paid Health, Dental, and Life Insurance plans
- Group Pension Plan with employer matching contributions
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- An annual Health and Fitness Allowance
- Group RRSP and TFSA programs
This position will remain posted until successfully filled.
Please submit a resume and covering letter to:
We thank all candidates for their interest in Cox & Palmer; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Cox & Palmer is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is a member of the Canadian Centre for Diversity & Inclusion, Pride at Work Canada and the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN).